If you wish to become an elite cannabis grower, you have to start by being able to select seeds.
There are lots of different factors you need to consider, but the most important ones have to be the overall genetics and THC content (CBD content if you’re planting medical marijuana).
Understanding genetics is especially valuable. Those who are looking from the outside will probably focus on things such as taste and high.
But, as a cannabis farmer, you need to select seeds that will thrive in a harsh environment that can be resilient to pests, mildew, and so on.
The choice of strains is especially important for young, up-and-coming companies, as they probably don’t have the option of planting numerous strains.
Instead, they usually have to focus on one or two types that will bring them the most profit.
Lastly, if you do manage to have a good harvest, you will probably want to stash some of the seeds. That way, you can continue with your amazing results.
Here is everything you need to know about selecting seeds and cannabis strains and how to grow a winning product. Check it out!
How to select seeds and find the best for your garden
There are lots of different things you need to consider when buying marijuana seeds. Let’s start from the most obvious ones:
- Location – Do you wish to grow cannabis inside or outside? Some properties simply don’t have the right soil or climate for this plant. Yes, you can try and force your way to a cannabis crop, but that doesn’t mean you will have an optimal yield. Some species prefer certain types of climates, so you will have to take this into consideration. If everything else fails, you can always turn to autoflowering seeds which can grow in almost any climate regardless of environmental factors
- Feminized seeds – You should always go for feminized seeds. There are some companies that still sell mixed seeds, but if you wish to be a professional weed grower, you will need to stay away from them. The reason for this is simple: you can’t have both male seeds and female seeds in the same garden because males will pollinate females resulting in more seeds instead of flowers. That way, you will have fewer products to put on the market
- Strain popularity – This is something that shouldn’t be neglected. Today, there are a lot of different cannabis strains on the global market. Some of them are very popular, while others are obscure. This is somewhat similar to the situation in the alcohol beverage industry. So, if you want to have the best results, you should go with a strain that has already proven to be a winner. People are reluctant to buy products they don’t know much about
- Medical or recreational – Of course, some cannabis companies focus on medical marijuana while others go with recreational. Nowadays, there is a tendency for companies to provide both types. However, if you wish to specialize in a specific strain, you will have to buy products that are either rich in THC or CBD
- Business focus – The choice of seeds can also be connected to your business direction. Some strains might be better for your overall strategy and the way you’re presenting the brand
Main features of cannabis seeds
Every good farmer can recognize a cannabis seed from a mile away. If this is your first time dealing with weed, you might have some trouble.
But, there are several features that can tell you how to differentiate cannabis seeds from all the other plant seeds:
- Color – Color is one of the main features of any type of seeds. Cannabis has a bit darker, with dark brown or black tones. Make sure to avoid marijuana seeds that are green or light; this is a sign that they’re not ripe
- Hardness – You can easily check the quality and ripeness of seeds by checking its outer shell. All you have to do is squeeze it gently and see how a seed reacts. Better seeds should be stronger, with a hard outer layer
- Pattern – Although cannabis has specific colors, you can learn more about marijuana type based on its pattern. Indica cannabis will have large stripes on it while Sativa will lack and pattern whatsoever
Differentiating marijuana strains
Before you select seeds, you need to consider what type of cannabis you wish to grow.
Keep in mind that this isn’t a strain but instead, a greater group to which a strain belongs to.
The cannabis plant has a large variety, which gives you quite a few options. Certain types of weed grow well in a certain environment; some of them are better for the interior while others are better for the exterior; there are also differences in terms of CBD and THC content.
As you can see, just choosing the right cannabis type can be a pain in the neck; after that, you also need to find the right strain that belongs to that group.
- Cannabis Sativa – The two main cannabis types of Sativa and Indica. Sativa plants are really tall, thin, and with very spread branches and marijuana leaves. They take more time for maturation, but also have greater yield. Sativa strains are known for their energetic high; they provide a very uplifting sensation to all those who smoke them
- Cannabis Indica – Unlike Sativas, Indicas are small and bushy. One plant of Indica will give less yield that one plant of Sativa. However, they have better yield if we consider the overall weight and space required. Indicas are great for relaxation; they often cause a couch-lock effect which makes them ideal for people who are suffering from insomnia
- Autoflowering – Autoflowering cannabis is a type of cannabis that can grow in almost any environment. It is an extremely resilient plant that allows you to grow marijuana from seeds no matter where you live. They don’t need as much light as the other plants, but unfortunately, they also don’t provide the same, high yield
- Hybrids – As the name suggests, weed hybrids are plants that you get by mixing Indicas and Sativas. This is perhaps the most interesting thing about growing cannabis; it gives you so many different options! Hybrids will have various, unpredictable features. In some cases, the Indica plant will be dominant, while in others, they will receive dominant features from their Sativa parent. In rare cases, a hybrid plant will be 50/50 or, in other words, a balanced cannabis plant. More than anything, hybrids provide a unique smoking experience. They usually have a very interesting high which doesn’t have to be the same as the sensation that their parents create
Before you start to select seeds, there are a lot of different things you need to consider.
Although you are free to experiment, we suggest that you start by choosing a proven strain. This way, it will be much easier to grow them, and you will be able to predict profits.
Once you learn more about the industry and the growing process, you can try new and exciting things.