If you want to be a marijuana grower, you need to approach every aspect of growing with due diligence.
Given that cannabis is a living organism, small mistakes can be fatal. Even if you do everything right the first time, you need to be able to replicate the process.
One of the things that most cannabis growers are wondering about is how to plant marijuana seeds. Although it seems like a simple process, there are lots of different things that can go wrong, thus jeopardizing the whole harvest.
Here is a step-by-step guide that will help you plant marijuana seeds!
- Start the planting process by soaking the seeds. It will make the whole germination process much easier. You can simply put them in a glass with tap water. Wait for 12 hours or so. Now, you will notice two types of seeds: those that are floating and those that sank. Those that are floating are good seeds, and you will be able to use them for growing. After this small test, you should place viable seeds on a towel so they can dry out.
- The next thing you need to do during the planting phase is to use wet a paper towel. You will need something that is able to retain moisture. The towel should be placed under a running tap until its wet. However, don’t overdo it as the towel shouldn’t be dripping wet. Once this is over, you should put the towel on a plate. Now, you can put the seeds on this towel. Make sure they are well spread with half an inch between them. You should especially be careful of blunt ends. Roots will start sprouting from them, so you will need to give them extra space. When that’s over, you should place another moist towel over the seeds, so they’re covered from both sides.
- When planting cannabis the seeds should be stored at 70 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit (21 to 29 degrees Celsius). They require moisture and warmth in order to sprout. But, you need to be careful of sunlight as it can damage them. Instead, put them someplace where they will be isolated enough. We recommend that you use a heat lamp that will keep them warm. Still, the cannabis seeds should be at a proper distance so that the ideal temperature is achieved. You can perform a simple test: if the towel has become dry, you should increase the distance between the two. You will also need to wet it again.
- At this point, you just have to be patient and wait for seeds to germinate. If you did everything properly, the seeds should have ideal conditions to do so. Good seeds will be able to germinate within 48 hours. As previously mentioned, roots will start popping from the blunt side of cannabis seeds.
- Once they’re between half an inch and quarter of an inch long, they are ready for the next phase: planting the weed seeds into the ground. You still need to be careful with the marijuana seeds as they open; any contact can lead to damage. If the seeds haven’t shown any progress (if the roots haven’t started marijuana sprouting), you can discard them as non-viable.
Planting the cannabis seeds
- When the marijuana seeds start sprouting roots, it is time to put them in a pot or plant them directly in the ground. If you’re using pots, you will need to fill them with proper soil, which you can buy in any gardening store. Keep in mind that the soil has to be loose and to allow circulation of air. You don’t have to buy the biggest pots in the store; they need to be big enough to accommodate marijuana plants. There are a lot of online stores that specialize in cannabis-related products, so; it shouldn’t be a big issue finding the right-sized pots. These pots should be ¾ filled with soil.
- You will also have to make the right hole. It should be around a quarter of an inch deep (0.6 cm). Experienced cannabis growers recommend that you use a pen to make this hole. You can mark the required hole depth on the pen, so when you use it to make a hole, just push the pen to this line and no further. It is very important to create a hole at the right depth. If it’s too shallow, there won’t be enough soil for cannabis to use. Otherwise, if it’s too deep, there will be issues with marijuana sprouting.
- When planting the cannabis seeds into the hole, don’t use your hands. Instead, make sure to use tweezers. You need to place the root side at the bottom. Make sure to avoid any excessive contact. This is especially true when it comes to rooting as it is prone to damage. Once the seed in place, you should cover it with soil. Again, like with everything else, you will need to be very careful. Don’t use excessive force as it can prevent the plant from growing properly.
Additional considerations when planting marijuana seeds
- As previously mentioned, your seeds shouldn’t be in direct sunlight. They also shouldn’t be exposed to too much moisture. Avoid any sources of heat that would dry them up quickly. The same goes for water sources. Most cannabis growers recommend a closed-off area such as basements. If you manage to achieve a constant temperature, your plants will continue thriving as intended.
- Even though the plants shouldn’t be exposed to excess humidity, that doesn’t mean they don’t need any water. In fact, you will have to wet the soil twice a day. The best way to do it is by using a spray bottle. You can touch the soil with your fingers to determine its humidity. Remember: not too moist, not too dry! It is very important to keep the same routine. Water your plants at the same time every day. Ideally, you should do it once in the morning and once in the evening.
- The majority of growers are using the lights to improve the success rate. The white glow lights would be perfect for this operation. Of course, we are talking about cases when you’re growing cannabis in a closed environment.
Although there are a lot of things you need to consider, planting cannabis seeds isn’t that hard. Like everything else, it will probably become a routine after a while.
If you’re doing marijuana sprouting for the first time, we suggest that you ask experienced growers for assistance. Later on, you will be able to replicate the process by yourself, but having a proficient grower by yourself will definitely ensure that your first harvest is a good one.
No matter what, pay attention to humidity, light, and heat. If you manage to cover these 3 main factors, your weed plants will be able to sprout and thrive. You should also be very careful when handling them.
Although they might seem resilient, the seeds can be very fragile during the early stages of their development. With this awesome guide, you should learn how to plant marijuana seeds the right way!